Friday, November 25, 2005

TGIO

Thanksgiving is over and I'm, well, thankful. The first turkey dinner went okay & pretty easy. I stuck the turkey in the roaster oven and forgot about it. No basting, no tenting, no checking, nothing. It was great. I did fine with everything else, but almost forgot the potatoes and I used gravy out of a jar. Har, har, har. My sister says, "did you use rosemary in the gravy?" I say, "you'll have to ask Heinz." It always makes me laugh the way my family acts. My grandma, who is 71, says "I can never get those nice ridges on my pie crusts." I say, "The pilsbury doughboy did it, not me." Crazy people. I'm not Martha Stewart. Another bright spot from granny was when we were all sitting peacefully eating and she suddenly jumps up, knocks over her pop, and says "Where's my purse?" This is a commonly used phrase from grams. The funny part is that she's at my house, with her family, where no one would want to take her purse. What a nut.

Turkey dinner #2 was also nice. My mom was nice enough to cut up my stinky red onions before she left. Yay! No stinky onion hands for me. (At least not until I chopped up some shallots later on.) T2 got roasted in the oven over a layer of red onions while being basted with a mixture of white wine and butter. Then it got a coat of cranberry glaze. Yum, cranberries. It was also supposed to have juniper berries but they are impossible to find around here unless you want them in capsule form. Nope, don't think that would work. My husband says that's what I get for trying to be "upper class" in Springfield (aka, Springtucky). Oh well. I bet they had them in Yellow Springs. So everything went well, and The Man actually helped me in the kitchen with the second dinner. He was very helpful. And the house got mostly clean. And we had a really nice chardonnay with dinner too. Yum. I'm just starting to learn about wines and I was very pleased with myself. The Man even liked it. (He doesn't really like wine.)

And some knitting got done. I'm making a hat out of the Shark Attack I got from Insubordiknit.
I know, I know, it must seem like all I ever knit are hats and socks, but this one is different. It has earflaps. And, yes, that does make a big difference. I'm almost done so I'll have pics soon.

Now I need to go clean the turkey day mess up before I have to go to work. This is the first time in 10 years that I haven't had to be at work at 6:00am. The joys of retail.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes! pictures! and then I'll snag 'em and post 'em on my site. yah!

i'm glad your holiday went well too!

xo

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home