Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Things...

Things I'm loving right now:

  • Jack Johnson's Curious George CD- I'm loving the cheesy-bop-your-head-sing-along-ness of it. It's like my kid's version of Mulligan Stew with songs like "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" and "The Sharing Song". It makes me want to go rent "Free to Be...You and Me" and wear some polyester.
  • Tank tops from Old Navy- I am obsessed. I use them for undershirts, overshirts, nightshirts & dayshirts. I have a million colors and three different sizes depending on what layer they are gonna be. Don't ask me. I'm a freak for tank tops right now. Last year it was socks.
  • John Legend- His music is like dirty gospel. A choir sings about "making freaky sounds". How can I not love that? Oh, and he's from Springfield, so we're like practically related, right?
  • THIS book-it's like one big long laudanum trip.
  • My hair- at least this minute.

Things I'm NOT loving right now:

  • My hair- well that didn't last very long now did it?
  • My brain- for some reason my thoughts won't come out right lately. It's like my head is a big filing cabinet, you know like the huge-mongous ones they have at the library, and someone has gone in and scrambled the shit out of everything (Hence, the lack of posts. I dislike incoherent babbling as much as the next guy. Oh, this is incoherent babbling, I forgot.) I try to pull the drawer marked "memory" and half the stuff is missing. Ugh. I think a lot of has to do with the next thing.
  • My rut- yes, a literal rut. I swear I am doing the same things that I have done before with the same people, but no one notices but me. And we're not talking about a little bit of de ja vu, I mean, I am really quite sure we have done these exact same things, had these exact same conversations, felt these exact same feelings. My life has a bad groove that I can't jump out of. Oh, I know I'm not actually reliving these things, there are some differences, but everything is very familiar.
  • The Great Influenza- now, I loved the book, but I am now scared shitless of the subject matter. Not really shitless. I'm not one to run around shouting that the sky is falling, but it was very sobering to think of the incredible numbers of people that died and what that would amount to in today's poulation. And the scariest part is that we haven't learned our lesson. We don't spend nearly enough money on influenza related research and development- after all, it's only the flu. But the flu has a much higher mortality rate than, say, anthrax (which we can use antibiotics on- not that they are very effactive anymore) or west nile virus, and look how we reacted to those threats. It's yet another glimpse into how the bureaucracy that we live in rally works. Don't cough on me, thank you very much.
  • The base hospital- (Speaking of bureaucracies) I tried to get a copy of my medical records. Nope, not allowed to touch them. That's what they said to me- "You are not allowed to touch them. But you can pay us $8.30/hr. plus $.15/page for us to copy them for you." What?!?! They are my medical records, are they afraid I might tamper with them or steal them? They're mine, right?
  • Work- but I've got to go- I am seriously late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home